This is an unofficial website dedicated to the work of the British actor Richard Armitage, star of Spooks, Strike Back, Robin Hood, North and South, Captain America: The First Avenger and now filming The Hobbit. We aim to bring you the most up-to-date news about Richard's career, interviews, pictures, multimedia, information about filming locations and much more. All pages are listed in the menu on the left.
Please visit the Guest Book or leave a comment on any of the pages where you see the 'Write Comment' option.
1. The episode of Casualty that included Richard was shown on the Really channel in the UK today. I've uploaded all clips of Richard from this episode to youtube. Change the settings to HD for the best quality. Richard only appeared in this single episode, called 'Playing with Fire', which was first broadcast in December 2001. For more information about the episode, see the Casualty career page.
2. Congratulations to Bernadette from Florida for winning the competition to win 3 Richard Armitage DVDs. A Hobbit related giveaway will take place soon.
1. The competition to win three Richard Armitage DVDs will close at midnight UK time tonight. Click here for more details and how to enter. Please note the different region codes for the DVDs.
2. The Daily Mail describes the latest Hobbit trailer with pictures and briefly mentions Richard, though the article mainly focuses on Orlando Bloom. Thanks to Karin for the link.
3. Warner Bros. have published some high resolution images from The Desolation of Smaug trailer. Click 'home' then 'gallery' to see the pictures. I've added the Thorin picture to the end of the Hobbit Stills gallery. Click 'original image' to see the full size.
So much to look at in the new The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug trailer on the Hobbit facebook page. Warner Bros. have also posted the trailer on youtube. Screencaps of Thorin from this trailer are here.
1. The World premiere for the second Hobbit film will not take place in Wellington, NZ - details on stuff.co.nz. There is an unofficial compiliation of all scenes released so far relating to The Desolation of Smaugon youtube, including some scenes from Peter Jackson's sneak peek clip (more information on this in the news 1st April).
3. Three behind-the-scenes pictures of Richard filming The Impressionists have appeared in a tourist brochure showcasing film productions in the Val-d'Oise region of France. Thanks to Estelle for posting the information in the guestbook today. The three pictures have been added to the end of the Impressionists Promo gallery. In the second of the new pictures Richard isn't wearing his Monet wig and that's not Monet's usual attire, but assuming this is during rehearsals then I'm fairly sure that is indeed him standing in front of the seated Charlie Condou.
Update:the final image in the Impressionists Promo gallery is now available in HD. Click 'original image' to see the full size. Thanks again to Estelle.
4. A reminder that the competition to win three Richard Armitage DVDs will close at midnight UK time on Thursday 13th June. Click here for more details and how to enter. Please note the different region codes for the DVDs.
Official confirmation from The Hobbit Movie Facebook page that the new trailer for The Desolation of Smaug will be unveiled on Tuesday 11th June at 10am PT/1pm ET/6pm UK time. Note the new fantastic poster showing Bilbo looking at the front door of Erebor.
Peter Jackson also revealed the poster on his Facebook page. The first trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was unveiled on the Apple Trailers site and posted on YouTube by Warner Bros on the same day, so it's worth checking those and the official Facebook pages on 11th June.
1. The picture of the day archive for May 2013 has been added to the Multimedia menu on the left-hand side, or click here to download all the individual pictures.
2. A donation to Childline of £74.76 was made today from referral fees accrued from Amazon.co.uk for the month of March 2013. Thank you very much for using the Amazon links on the home page to earn referral fees for charity. Further details here.
3. A chance encounter with Richard outside Stone Street studios yesterday has resulted in two photographs being posted on this group Hobbit/LOTR page on Facebook (scroll to the end). Thanks to Deanna for sharing.
1. Three pictures in the Spooks Promo gallery have been replaced with large HQ versions, with many thanks to Jonia: spooks8-12, spooks8-14 and spooks8-15 are now in HQ. Click 'original image' in the bottom corner to see the full size of each.
2. According to a reliable source, the release date in Japan for the second Hobbit film The Desolation of Smaug has been put back to sometime in March 2014. The film will be released on 11, 12 and 13 December this year for most other countries.
3. In 2001, Richard appeared in one episode of the long running BBC drama Casualty, called Playing with Fire. This episode will be shown on the Really digital channel on Friday 14th June 10.25am - 11.30am. Thanks to Redliverpool for the info. I will upload clips after it airs and better quality screencaps! The current screencaps are here in the gallery.
1. I've added a 'search' option to the main menu top-left to help you to find videos, interviews, or any other keyword you wish to search for. The news archive will not be included in this search, but it has its own search button at the top-right of the archive window.
1. The gallery home page has been updated - press F5 if you cannot see the new images. I've added the following icons: Black Sky, Star Wars and Macbeth (RSC). Pictures from the latter will be posted very soon. The old gallery has been added to the wallpapers page.
2. Spooks series 7 will start on BBC Entertainment Europe on Mondays starting 3rd June and repeated on Tuesdays and the following Sunday. Check the TV schedule.Thanks to Monika.
Update: check your schedule as Spooks series 7 is also on BBC Entertainment in Israel tonight.
3. Popcorn Taxi have (finally) posted a 25 minute video of their Q&A with Richard that took place on 1st May in Sydney! Watch on youtube.
4. Lots of new pictures of Richard at the London and New York Hobbit premieres have been added to the gallery, most of them sourced from Zimbio.com, with thanks to Olya for the link. To see the full size, click 'original image' in the bottom-right corner of each picture. Press F5 to refresh the screen if you cannot see the new pictures.
1. New poll on the left-hand side for those who have seen The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Previous poll results about buying the Hobbit DVD are here.
2. Three new Robert Ascroft pictures have been posted on henneth-annun.ru and now appear at the end of the 2012 Promo gallery - images 29-31 in the gallery are new (tagged RobertAscroft-25 to RobertAscroft-27).
Changes to the site
I've removed the UK television listings from the menu on the left (the module that was used to create the listings attracted spam bots and was one of the reasons for the recent website downtime). A new link showing all of Richard's appearances on UK television is under the 'Richard's latest message' link in the middle of the home page.
After almost six years of posting a new picture every day on this site, I'm sorry to announce the picture of the day feature will cease at the end of June. I will post a new picture on the home page on occasion, but I will not be able to take picture requests for specific days from July onwards. Thank you for all your emails in the past and for your enthusiasm and support for the POD, it's very much appreciated!
No other changes are planned. I hope to update the site and the news pages as regularly as I always have done. I remain committed to this website and encouraged by all of you who regularly contribute to sending me news and for your wonderful words of support. Thank you!
Two fantastic new wallpapers have been added to the RA wallpapers page with thanks to Alexandra. Click the images to enlarge and save on your desktop. Please see the top of the wallpapers page for terms of usage.
2. Spooks series 8 in the Czech Republic: this series starts tonight on channel Ceska televize (CT1). It will be shown on Mondays between 11 and 12pm (different times each week) and repeated on Thursdays around midnight. Thanks to Iveta.
3. A competition to win three Richard Armitage DVDs is now open on this site - click here for details and how to enter.
4. A donation to Barnardo's of £215.18 was made today, with many thanks to those who used the Amazon links on the home page of this site when shopping. Further details about how to shop via Amazon and raise money for charity here. Note: payments from January and February were processed together to minimise the banking charge - only one charge was made by my bank for dollar to pound conversion for two months worth of payments.
5. Peter Jackson has posted a picture of himself and Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf on set on his facebook page, with news that the last block of Hobbit filming has started and a video blog will follow soon.
1. Update: apologies for the error. This is series 2, otherwise known as 'Strike Back: Project Dawn' in which Richard only appears in the first episode. Details on NRJ12 site. Strike Back in France: Strike Back will be broadcast in France on channel NRJ 12 from 22nd May.
2. Coup de Main have published an account of their reporter's trip to Wellington, which includes new pictures from the Hobbit press conference that took place on 28th November 2012. Ten new pictures showing Richard at this event have been added to the gallery, starting with this one. Thanks to Olya for the email.
3. Strike Back series 2 in Germany: the first episode of series 2 has a brief appearance from Richard as John Porter and is showing on 24 May at 20:15 on Fox. Thanks to Jo.
Todd Garner, producer of Black Sky has posted a picture on twitter from the film, showing someone who looks a lot like Richard. The caption 'back on track' refers to the recent disruption to post-production as a result of FX company Rhythm and Hues' financial difficulties.
1. Popcorn Taxi have posted an extra interview with Richard that took place before the Q&A in Sydney on 1st May. There are lots of new questions (and answers) in this one. At the bottom of the interview they confirm that the video of the Q&A will be posted soon. Also posted on the Interviews page.
2. Richard is listed in the Best Actor category for the SFX Awards 2013 for his role as Thorin. Vote here or click here to start from the beginning and vote in all categories. Unfortunately they didn't spell his name correctly. Voting closes Tuesday 28 May.
2. Thanks to Endorwitch, I've added 37 candid pictures of Richard at the Sydney Q&A on 1st May to the Sydney Candids gallery. Click 'original image' in the bottom-right corner of each picture to see the full size.
3. Two more pictures added to the Sydney Promo gallery today: this one of Richard and Sophie Lapin of Go Pop and this one of @DanVoss from twitter, mentioned in yesterday's news.
5. Graham McTavish and Ken Stott discuss their characters in The Hobbitin this video and the relationship between the brothers, with a comment from Richard that he'd imagined Dwalin had been Thorin's confidente from a young age.
1. IGN have posted a new video interview with Richard, which took place during last week's Sydney Hobbit DVD promotion. He talks about audience reaction to Thorin, his eagerness to finally see what Smaug looks like and Thorin's development in the next few films. We've heard similar questions before but Richard still manages to give different and interesting answers! Also on youtube.
2. Staged DVD update: Darren Denison has informed me that all purchasers will soon receive an email with an update about when they can expect the DVD. Several unexpected factors have contributed to a delay, including a DVD sleeve printing error that needed to be corrected.
Richard Armitage appears with Martin Freeman at 3 minutes in this Japanese DVD promo on youtube. A brief comment by Richard followed by Martin talking about the camaraderie amongst the cast of The Hobbit.
1. Warner Bros Australia have posted their interview with Richard after asking for fans' questions (see request for questions in the news 26th April). The interview covers all sorts of questions such as whose beard he preferred, the decision to move away from the book in a particular scene, who he would invite to a dinner party and a hint at projects he would like to work on in the future.
2. Two more pictures from the Robert Ascroft photoshoot have emerged - see the last two pictures in the 2012 Promo gallery. Click 'original image' to view full size. Thanks to armitage-online.ru.
1. Two new articles from the Australian press today:
The Music 'Short and Sweet': Richard talks about the 'endurance test' of making these films and drawing parallels with real-world circumstances to give his portrayal realism. He also describes Thorin's journey as a character and how he 'welcomed the opportunity to occasionally toss aside Thorin’s “stillness and stoicism” and wreak some havoc on his enemies'.
2. The last few minutes of the Sydney Q&A have been unofficially posted on youtube - while we wait for the official video, this is a nice taster: click to watch.
3. TheOneRing.net have published a report of the Popcorn Taxi Sydney event, with a full transcript of the questions and answers plus an interview with the host, Oscar Hillerstrom. The video will be out soon so don't read if you don't want to be spoiled, or read the full transcript of the evening here.
4. The picture of the day archive for April 2013 has been added to the Multimedia menu on the left-hand side, or click here to download all the individual pictures.
5. A donation to Shelter of £103.55 was made today from referral fees accrued from Amazon.co.uk for the month of February 2013. Thank you very much for using the Amazon links on the home page to earn referral fees for charity. Further details here.
1. CNET Australia have published an 11m 50s video interview with Richard, which took place during the Sydney Hobbit DVD promotion. Richard gives detailed answers to many questions we've heard before, but there is also a comment about sustainable energy. Now on youtube.
2. SFTV's Go Pop interviewed Richard in Sydney - watch it on youtube (and below). This is a really great interview, lots of fun and full of NEW questions! Includes a hug with Kermit and instructions on how to walk like a dwarf. This edited video has an introduction by Richard at the start (and he appears again at 3m 50s).
1. Richard was interviewed via telephone on Scotty and Nige's Canberra radio show after 7.30am today. A funny interview which consisted of a few Hobbit questions and then a quiz of 10 questions to find out more about Richard. Listen to the interview on their site - scroll down to the first audio clip 'Richard Armitage Grill'. This is only the second part of the interview, full interview links here:
2. The presenter of Channel 9's Mornings show, David Campbell, confirmed yesterday that Richard will be on their show today. Thanks to Kristy. Watch the interview here via MSN video. @merilyn066 and @lady0akenshield are the two ladies at the end of that video clip, as they were invited into the Channel 9 studios to meet Richard. See item #8 below to see their pictures. David Campbell posted a picture of himself and Richard in this tweet and his co-star Wendy Kingston also posted a picture of in this tweet.
3. MovieFix 'Richard Armitage I told Prince William he'd make a good elf in The Hobbit'
4. News.com.au 'It cost $1.6m to get a face like this! Richard Armitage's Thorin make-over for The Hobbit'
5. Graffiti with punctuation have a picture of Richard with their presenter Blake Howard with a download link to an excellent podcast. Well worth a listen!
6. Lots of pictures are emerging from the Q&A event with Richard at the Hayden Orpheum. Click here on my twitter feed and browse through the tweets to see the pictures. You do not have to be registered on twitter to view my twitter feed. According to this post on their facebook page (read the first comment), there will not be a live online stream of the event, but it will be recorded.
1. Richard was on 2dayFM radio in Australia today. You can listen to the audio clips and see a picture of Dan and Maz with Richard here on their site.
2. Alice Tynan's written interview (mentioned in yesterday's news) is now on TheVine. There is a link at the bottom to page 2. This is the first interview that Richard has tentatively mentioned future projects, nothing definite of course, but bring on the speculation! Some of us asked questions for Richard via Alice's twitter account - she says here that this will follow tomorrow.
3. Many thanks to Ladypolanna for the scan of the MX article below. The cover was posted yesterday by @MXSydney on twitter. Click the images to enlarge.
4. News from News.com.au on twitter: click here with instagram link to picture. I'll post more information on this when I have it.
5. A reminder that Popcorn Taxi are hosting a special event tomorrow, Wednesday 1st May at the Hayden Orpheum in Cremorne, Sydney, Australia: A screening of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and a live Q&A with Richard Armitage! The event is now sold out, further details are here. According to this post on their facebook page (read the comments), there will not be a live online stream of the event, but it will be recorded.
6. Richard talks about working with Hugo Weaving and Cate Blanchett in this interview on localtoday.com.au.
2. Alice Tynan interviewed Richard today - see news 30th April for the link. Alice tweeted a picture of herself and Richard, which you can see here.
3. @MXSydney, twitter account for the free mX newspaper for Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, have posted two pictures of Richard today: this picture here and from the newspaper here. Click the pictures to enlarge.
1. Warner Bros Australia are asking for questions for Richard Armitage when he visits Sydney in the next few days. They will ask him the winning questions and will then post a transcript of the interview on their site. I'll post a link when it appears. This is a separate interview to the special Q&A event in Cremone, details in the news 11th April.
2. The free Belgian newspaper De Zondag included a short interview with Richard and also James Nesbitt and Andy Serkis last Sunday. Many thanks to Sabrina for the scans and also this English translation.
1. New interview on MSN-Germany from the recent UK press junket. Richard talks about his back injury sustained during filming for Spooks and his character diary for Thorin. There's a German transcript below the interview. Thanks to Carmen for the link.
The Dutch free newspaper Spits, dated 16 April, has published an interview with Richard and also Andy Serkis in time for the release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey DVD. Violet has kindly provided a scan and an English translation of the interview with Richard, which you can read here.
The Hobbit UK Facebook page have posted a video showing Richard answering a fan question about getting into the mindset of Thorin Oakenshield. Judging by the clothes, this took place during the UK press junket in December 2012.
1. @BBCiPlayerAU have tweeted that the first season of Strike Back is now available on BBC iPlayer Australia. The link in their tweet refers to the BBC iPlayer (Global) app, which is a subscription based app for iPhone and iPad. Thanks to Di. They have confirmed this is the series starring Richard Armitage.
2. A donation to The Salvation Army of £79.53 was made today from referral fees accrued from Amazon.co.uk for the month of January 2013. Thank you very much for using the Amazon links on the home page to earn referral fees for charity. Further details here.
Two new pictures have emerged via the Repro Images tumblr site by photographer Robert Ascroft today. They have been added to the end of the 2012 Promo gallery. Click an image to view, then click 'original image' in the bottom-right corner to see the full size. RobertAscroft-11 was first posted on this site in January from Korean magazine Movieweek (scan here).
The Vancouver Sun have published an interview on youtube that took place in Toronto on 3rd December. Richard talks about how the Hobbit influenced him to become an actor, he was dreaming in character and that the amount of detail in the costume promoted excellence in all other areas of the production.
1. Popcorn Taxi are hosting a special event on 1st May at the Hayden Orpheum in Cremorne, NSW: A screening of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and a live Q&A with Richard Armitage! To book tickets and for further details, click here. According to this post on their facebook page (read the comments), there will not be a live online stream of the event, but it will be recorded.
2. An update regarding the Staged DVD, Darren Denison says everyone who ordered a copy should receive it by the end of April.
3. Magic FM are running a competition to win a copy of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey DVD. Open to UK residents only, closing date 17 April 2013. The link also includes audio of the interview with Richard by Rick Astley, but you can download it below in the news 7th April.
1. There was a brief clip of Richard speaking on BBC Radio 1 today - click here to listen. I'm afraid there is no new video today, the video referred to previously was the one with Sarah-Jane Crawford from BBC Radio 1Xtra posted in the news 5th April. Yesterday Sarah-Jane posted this short soundbite from Richard about being her 'Hottie of the Week'.
2. Two new pictures have been added to the Hobbit Stills gallery, one of which is here on the left. Click to enlarge.
The pictures are from Weta's latest book The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Chronicles. Creatures and Characters. Full of pictures and anecdotes from the cast and crew about each type of character in the film, it has a section dedicated to all of the main characters including Thorin.
"I always imagine characters who are defined by their history. If it's not there then I will inevitably construct a detailed biography. For Thorin this was very easy...but I still needed to investigate a more domestic biography; 'What do Thorin and Dwalin "chew the fact about"?' or, 'What was Thorin's relationship with his sister Dis like?' I felt that might inform how Fili and Kili would feature in Thorin's life."
Amy Hubbard, UK Casting Director:
"I know he won't mind me saying that Peter saw potential in Richard that hadn't been fully exploited before...His commitment to the films, pulling out of a sure-fire job (Strike Back) for the chance of appearing in a project that was 90% likely to go into production, but wasn't 100% green lit at the point of casting him, was an inspriation to all of us. And, I believe it was a much needed boost to the filmmakers' morale...Richard really deserves credit for that. He's a hero on screen and in life."
3. A new interview published today from the March 2013 UK press junket on thisisfakediy.co.uk: 'I'm always the slightly dour one who doesn't get a punchline.'
1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey DVD is out in the UK today and is available from Amazon UK—this link incorporates the RAnet referral code to ensure that all purchases raise money for charity (here is the Amazon.com link). For Blu-ray and other versions from Amazon see the RA on DVD page.
You can also rent or buy The Hobbit online via Blinkbox (it's cheaper than the iTunes UK store).
3. Another new interview from the recent UK press junket, perhaps one of the better ones in recent weeks: HeyUGuysBlog have an interesting and indepth discussion with Richard about the character of Thorin, particularly concerning the path that this character will take into the second film. Richard says he's excited to find out more about the scenes still to be filmed when he returns to New Zealand in May.
4. Promo pictures from the recent BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2 and Magic FM interviews have been added to the Hobbit DVD Promo March 2013 gallery, including this one tweeted today by Radio 2.
4. A pre-recorded interview with Richard will be played on BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio 1Xtra from 12pm (UK time) on Monday. Thanks to Chi Chi Izundu, Radio 1 entertainment reporter for the tweet. Video will be played on BBC Newsbeat. Information about this interview was originally posted on twitter on 7th March with photos posted on the 8th—see news 7th March and 8th March below. See yesterday's news for details about the additional Radio 2 interview on Monday, which we can now assume is also pre-recorded.
1. An interview with Richard was played on Radio 1Xtra at 1.30pm today (UK time) but an extended version of that interview has been posted on youtube, which shows the full interview with Richard by Sarah-Jane Crawford recorded on 7th March. Sarah-Jane Crawford tweeted this picture of herself and Richard from the pre-recorded interview.
1. I've added some audio clips to the Sounds page today including clips from all four episodes of North and South selected by Luigina and also the theme from Frozen—because it's a favourite of mine. The Audio Player on the right-hand side of the Sounds page works if you have Flash installed, otherwise you can play or download the sound clips from the list on the left.
1. Magnavision home video have posted a new written interview with Richard on their facebook page. There are some interesting comments about important moments in The Hobbit and on whether he considers himself a method actor.
1. Glamour magazine January 2013 UK edition is now available to buy in Australia from selected newsagents. It's a Reader's Digest-sized magazine and costs $5.95. Thanks to TEHI for the information. The magazine contains an interview with Richard which was posted on this site in December 2012 and is here in the gallery.
2. Nine members of the Hobbit cast - eight of the dwarves and Sylvester McCoy (Radagast) - attended HobbitCon in Bonn this weekend, and judging by several comments on twitter there were some very nice things said about Richard. Herba has compiled a list on her blog. It's in German but the comments from the cast are in English. Thanks Herba.
3. In this new interview by IGN, which took place when Richard, James and Andy were interviewed in the UK, Richard hints that there may be more filming to do this summer with the dragon, played via performance capture by Benedict Cumberbatch. Also on youtube.