Pilgrimage (film) ~ release date to be announced.
Urban and the Shed Crew (film) ~ release date to be announced.
Sleepwalker (film) ~ release date to be announced.
Hannibal season 3 will premiere on US TV on June 4th.
Alice Through the Looking Glass (cameo role) ~ 27 May 2016 (UK and USA)
Video and Audio Interviews from the Dec 2014 BOTFA premieres are here.
Contact Ali with news at
This interview with Bryan Fuller on Tattle-Crime.com is a MUST read. Bryan gives some fascinating details into how how Richard was cast and his approach to taking on the role in Hannibal.
Bryan says: "There were times that we were sitting in the editing room going over a scene and both the editor and I had to wipe a tear out of the corner of our eyes because you’re rooting for this man to find some peace because he is so tortured, and yes, he is a terrible killer of families but Richard imbues him with great power and also tremendous vulnerability and it’s incredibly appealing."
Richard posted an indistinct picture of himself in Pilgrimage costume on Weibo earlier today. He is currently on location in Belgium playing a Norman knight, Raymond De Merville, in the Brendan Muldowney film. Here is the original picture and a version I have edited - now we see you! Click to enlarge.
For the first time we can now see video and pictures of Richard playing Francis Dolarhyde in Hannibal, released today via EOnline. The video content is not yet available in many countries outside the US, but you can watch some gifs on tumblr thanks to Jollytr.
Here is a video showing a preview of season 3 with a short clip of Richard talking. The picture I posted on 10th May (see below) is from this interview.
Two more pictures (click to enlarge):
Bidding has ended on the doodle Richard drew for the Neurofibromatosis Network, raising an incredible $4350.00! Click here to see the final listing (scroll down). Many congratulations to the winning bidder. Richard tweeted on 8 May to confirm that he will generously match the final bid.
Empire magazine have published a four part article about the popular BBC spy drama Spooks, featuring the thoughts of the makers of the show and former cast members including Richard. With the release of the film Spooks: The Greater Good in cinemas in the UK, Empire has compiled quotes to commemorate memorable moments from the ten series.
Richard is quoted a few times in parts 2 and 3, most notably about the controversial Lucas North/John Bateman character twist. Thanks to Laura for the link.
Richard Armitage is to star in Clearance, a film by Finnish director Aku Louhimied, which will film in South Africa in November 2015. More details at Screen Daily.
1. The first behind the scenes photo of Richard Armitage being interviewed about Hannibal has appeared on one of my favourite photo sites farfarawaysite.com. We don't have any information yet on when this interview will be released. One of the other photos on that link seems to show the kimono worn by Richard's character Francis Dolarhyde aka The Tooth Fairy.
2. Bidding on the doodle Richard drew for Doodle 4 NF, an annual fundraiser for the Neurofibromatosis Network, is at $1465.00 at the time of writing. The bidding ends on 17th May and Richard tweeted yesterday that he will match the final bid!
3. Yahoo Movies UK published an interview with Richard on 6 May: 'Richard Armitage: Why The Hobbit Trilogy Should Have Been LONGER'.
“I think a lot of people who weren’t necessarily into the genre or Peter’s work probably felt it was too long; in which case I feel like maybe it’s not the right movie for you. The fans loved every single second of it and actually wanted more. When you look at what had to be lost, there was almost too much for three films. There wasn’t quite enough time to tell the whole story.”
4. Film Mayo have posted some photos from the set of Pilgrimage in their latest newsletter. No pictures of the cast.
5. Entertainment Weekly have published a great article about Spooks with some very complimentary comments about Richard and his character Lucas North. Thanks to Jenn.
Richard Armitage (Robin Hood, The Hobbit, Strike Back, Into the Storm) gets his own separate mention because he’s Richard Armitage, who makes everything awesome when he turns up. This is particularly true when he’s playing Adam’s successor, Lucas North, who was possibly Spooks‘ most complicated character and gave the show a shot in the arm when he was hired in series seven. If your show can go from Matthew Macfadyen to Rupert Penry-Jones to Richard Armitage, you are doing something very right.
6. Updates to the site: Biography updated and two pictures added to the end of the Hobbit Stills gallery thanks to farfarawaysite.com.
1. A donation of £241.48 plus gift aid has been made today to The Salvation Army, one of the six charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com. If you scroll to the bottom of the Donations page you will note that the total you have raised via this site is now over £7,000! Thank you so much.
I have decided, with consultation with some twitter friends, that all the money raised by you this month will go towards UNICEF's appeal for Nepal. The payment made above was earned by referral fees accrued in January and February of this year, so it will be a few months before I get the May 2015 payment, but all that commission will go to UNICEF. If you are happy to support this one-off decision, then please use the Amazon links on my site this month to raise money for UNICEF. After this month all fees will be paid to one of Richard's nominated charities as usual.
2. There is a new poll on the site asking which project you are most looking forward to. Scroll down on the left-hand side to vote. Previous results here.
There was a new message on Weibo this morning from Richard, along with two stunning photos of the Irish landscape. Click here to view (you don't have to be a member of Weibo to see the posts). He also posted a tribute to Andrew Lesnie today on Weibo.
Richard has drawn a doodle for Doodle 4 NF, which is an annual fundraiser for the Neurofibromatosis Network. Here is his doodle (or click the image below). Bidding starts on 7th May and ends on 17th May and will start here on eBay when it goes live on the 7th. Thank you to @Veloce on twitter for the info. The original painting that his doodle is based on is The Great Red Dragon and the Beast from the Sea by William Blake. Richard drew another doodle for auction back in 2007 for National Doodle Day, a charity that raises money for the UK charity Epilepsy Action. You can see that doodle in my gallery.
1. Richard has narrated the third series of Fraud Squad which will be broadcast in the UK tomorrow night at 9pm on ITV. Information on previous series, including clips of Richard's narration, can be found on the Fraud Squad page.
2. I'm sorry to announce that Big Finish no longer hold the licence for selling the BBC Robin Hood audiobooks The Witchfindersand The Siege narrated by Richard. I have received email confirmation about this. The Amazon links on my DVDs page still work but you'll see that the prices are extortionate as it is no longer available, so it seems that the only option could be eBay or perhaps your local library.
1. Three interviews have been released today in which Richard talks about his roles in The Hobbit, Hannibal, Pilgrimage, Sleepwalker and even Spooks!
"I play a French Norman who has a personal agenda to corrupt this little journey. It's interesting, and most of my character's dialogue is in French, so I've been having to buff up my French."
I understand that Digital Spy's website is not accessible in all countries, so click the image below to read a jpg of the article, then click again to zoom in. I've added a jpg of the DS interview in yesterday's news too.
On Hannibal: "one of the great challenges I had was that it's very difficult to play someone you find so despicable, but if I can get an audience to somehow relate to him and feel something for him, despite what he's done, then I feel like I'll have achieved something I've never done before.”
On returning to the stage: "I am hopefully going to go back on stage, probably directed by Yaël Farber again, sometime in 2016 or 2017. We're developing an idea together and it will be a much more expressionistic, physical approach to theatre, which is the sort of theatre I'm really interested in. I can't say what it will be but we have a play in mind, quite an ancient play."
- Interview with Empire Magazine with questions and answers about The Hobbit only, but this is a fun interview:
"One of my favourite moments is when Thorin gives Bilbo the Mithril vest. It's one of those pieces of information in the film that's referenced in Lord Of The Rings, when you see Frodo with it, and I love that it plays across the other films."
2. Character names have now appeared on the Pilgrimage IMDB page and Richard's character will be called Raymond De Merville.
3. Richard and other cast members from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings have commented on today's sad news that cinematographer Andrew Lesnie has died. You will see Richard's tweet in the twitter box on my home page or here. Here is Peter Jackson's touching tribute on Facebook.
Richard was interviewed today to promote The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies extended edition, according to this tweet by a Yahoo Movies journalist. The interview will be posted in a few days and I will link to it here in the news. He was also interviewed by Digital Spy who asked him questions about his role in Hannibal. In the interview Richard comments on his decision to take the role of a serial killer and how the 6 episodes allowed him to fully explore the character.
Click to read:
Digital Spy have posted 11 spoilers about Hannibal season 3 from showrunner Bryan Fuller, including lots of information about filming with Richard and his character Francis Dolarhyde in the show. The article says: 'Richard Armitage's Dolarhyde will be treated more like a third lead character than a supporting player' and we are told about a shocked reaction from the crew during a specific scene. More details from Bryan Fuller will be published next week in the full interview.
Both pictures from Richard's latest tweet about the Young Minds charity cannot be seen in the twitter window on my home page, so for the benefit of those not on twitter, here is the thank you from Jade Zelkowicz at Young Minds.
1. Andrew Cook, special effects artist working on Hannibal in Toronto, has posted this head cast of Richard on instagram (who we will forgive for spelling his name incorrectly!)
2. Many of the cast of Pilgrimageare posting pictures and tweeting from their filming location in the west of Ireland. You can follow the screenwriter Jamie Hannigan @jamiedotdotdot, and three of the actors Tom Holland @TomHolland1996, Jon Bernthal @jonnybernthal and Stanley Weber @sweber_official and Richard @RCArmitage of course, when he arrives in Ireland (and assuming he chooses to tweet).
3. The Old Vic have posted a picture of handprints on instagram that Richard Armitage and Anna Madeley drew backstage, signed with their character's names John and Elizabeth Proctor.
4. Although Richard did not win Best Actor at the Olivier Awards, readers of The Guardian voted him the winner by a considerable margin. Maybe next year then? ;)
You can read the full transcript of today's Twitter Q&A with Richard via the @OlivierAwards account here on Storify.
The hosts of the Olivier Awards Twitter account have announced that Richard will take part in a twitter Q&A on Thursday from 2pm (GMT+1 as we are now in British Summer Time). You can submit questions now by including the hashtag #AskArmitage in your tweets.
Richard will not be able to attend this Sunday's Jameson Empire Awards unfortunately, presumably due to filming on Hannibal. He tweeted this information yesterday, as you will see from his twitter feed on the home page of this site.
Empire magazine are one of a number of media outlets who have announced Richard's participation in the forthcoming film Pilgrimage.
"Brendan Muldowney is set to start directing the film next month, working from a script by Jamie Hannigan. The basic story...finds a group of 13th century monks who must escort a monastery’s holiest relic to Rome and find their faith severely tested en route."
Richard first mentioned this project via a twitter Q&A (question 3) from the Warner Bros France twitter account on 4 December 2014. Filming starts in Ireland in April and then moves to Belgium. More information below in the news 5th December (#3).
1. Richard Armitage in Conversation, a 40 minute interview that took place on Tuesday 2nd September 2014, can now be purchased from Digital Theatre in its entirety to rent or download: click here for details. This is a wonderful interview that I was lucky enough to attend, and I met some lovely Richard Armitage fans beforehand and in the pub later - hello to you all! To rent or download The Crucible, visit this page. Further details were posted in the previous news item (17th March).
2. A donation of £570.32 plus gift aid has been made today to the Anthony Nolan Trust, one of six charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com. Details of how referral fees are accrued are here. Thank you so much for using the Amazon links on the home page of this site. It is not just RA DVDs and audiobooks that will earn referral fees for charity, but ANY ITEM that Amazon sells, so please click on the Amazon logos on the home page for your shopping, or use the RAnet Amazon Stores for RA specific items.
1. You can download The Crucible from anywhere in the world today from 2pm GMT (9am EST, 6pm PT) via the Digital Theatre website. Click here for further details. It is available to rent for a limited period or to download permanently to your desktop in high definition or standard definition. Digital Theatre have said there is no end date to rent or download The Crucible, which will be available in their catalogue indefinitely. It is a great day for all those who were unable to see this remarkable production, enjoy!
2. Rumours are stirring about Richard's involvement in an adaptation of Edith Wharton's Summer, which will star Hailee Steinfeld. Watch this space.
Many congratulations to Richard for his Olivier Award nomination for Best Actor! Click here for the full list of nominations. The Crucible was also nominated for Best Revival. The awards ceremony will take place on 12 April at the Royal Opera House.
1. Today is the last day to download Classic Love Poems for free from Audible.com, Audible.co.uk or Audible.de. Don't miss out! Scroll down to the news on 14 February to see video clips of Richard at the Audible studios.
2. The Olivier Award nominations can be watched live on the OlivierAwards website at 12pm (8am ET) tomorrow. Surely Richard will get a nomination for John Proctor?
3. Keep voting for Richard as Best Actor at the Jameson Empire Awards 2015. The awards will take place on Sunday 29 March.
The third season of Hannibal has a broadcast date (announced yesterday) - 4 June! Richard will play Francis Dolarhyde in 6 episodes.
Digital Theatre made the much anticipated announcement today that The Crucible will be available for download worldwide on Tuesday 17 March from 2pm GMT, 9am (EST), 6pm (PT). This is a link to the email announcement showing the exact times that the download will be available.
Richard tweeted a link to an interview with TheaterMania, about the digital release and filming the production, shortly after today's announcement.
"There was such an urge for people to see it, [who] couldn't see it. I was very pleased that it would have an afterlife. One of the conditions I had in allowing it to be filmed was that Yaël be part of the edit, because what she was seeing, and what she wanted the audience to be seeing, was very specific."
News Archive 2015
News Archive 2014
News Archive 2013
News Archive 2012
News Archive 2011
News Archive 2010
News Archive 2009