This is an unofficial website dedicated to the work of the British actor Richard Armitage, star of The Crucible (at the Old Vic), The Hobbit, NBC's Hannibal, Into the Storm, Captain America: The First Avenger, Spooks, Strike Back, Robin Hood and the BBC's North and South. I hope you will find the most up-to-date news about Richard's career, interviews, pictures, multimedia, information about filming locations and much more. All content is listed in the menu on the left.
To leave a comment or give feedback, please visit the Guest Book or leave a message wherever you see 'Write Comment' (on this page, it's just above the 'News'). Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about contacting Richard and about this website.
Richard Armitage as Lucas North in Spooks series 7 episode 3 ~ gallery
Messages from Richard to his fans 2004-present day are here
A donation of £494.38 plus gift aid has been made today to Young Minds, one of the eight charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com. Thank you so much for shopping at Amazon UK and Amazon DE using the links on the home page of this website. Referral fees are earned for free for every item you buy. Details here.
1. Deadline have reported that Richard has been cast in Julie Delpy's new film My Zoe, also featuring Daniel Brühl, Lior Ashkenazy, Gemma Arterton and child actor Sophia Ally. The film has been written by Julie Delpy and she will also direct and star in the film. Richard will play James, the ex-husband of Delpy’s character Isabelle. Variety have reported that filming will begin this spring in the UK, so presumably Richard will film his scenes for this film before filming starts on Berlin Station series 2.
2. Thanks to Guylty for passing along this German article about Berlin Station and an English translation. The article refers to a panel discussion from last weekend at the Berlinale film festival. Richard is mentioned first in the cast list and the article gives some insight in the production team's work and creative decisions.
3. Pilgrimage has been acquired by RLJ Entertainment for distribution in US movie theaters - let's hope an international release will be forthcoming! This news via The Hollywood Reporter.
4. The name of Richard's character in Ocean's Eight has been revealed - he will play Claude Becker (source: IMDB), although it is not yet clear if this is a cameo or a more substantial role.
Pictures of Richard filming with James Corden have been published on Just Jared and here is a video showing James Corden with a suitcase malfunction! (Thanks to jico_s on Instagram).
5. IndieWire have reported that Brain on Fire has been bought by Netflix, indeed you can now add the film to your queue (this might be US residents only at the moment). Sadly the film will not get a theatrical release according to the article.
“Brain on Fire,” starring Chloe Grace Moretz, debuted at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival to mostly withering reviews and then sold straight to streaming platform Netflix, with no theatrical release.
Keep your fingers crossed for a DVD release!
6. Two videos have been released by Audible to promote the audiobook Romeo and Juliet: A Novel. A 24 minute discussion between Richard and the author David Hewson is here on YouTube, which is a very interesting discussion on the writing and recording process. And there is also an interview with Richard about the audiobook, on the Audible site (with a large picture of Richard which you can click to enlarge and save below - hello new desktop background) and also on YouTube.
7. Richard's narration of David Copperfieldhas been nominated for a 2017 Audie Award for Literary Fiction & Classics. The winners will be announced at the Audies Gala on 1st June at the French Institute Alliance Francaise in New York.
Deadline have announced that Richard has been cast in Ocean's Eight, which is currently filming and is set to be released in June 2018. The film's stars include Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter. Richard's role in the film has not been announced yet.
A trailer for Brain on Fire has arrived! Watch it here. Richard plays Tom Cahalan, the father of Susannah Cahalan who wrote the best-selling book “Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness". Filming took place from July to August 2015 and although the film was shown at the Toronto Film Festival in September last year there is still no information concerning worldwide release dates.
Richard has announced his next project on Twitter with a link to his Instagram account. Here is a link to the Vimeo short film which inspired the film. An announcement about the film Miles, written and directed by Oliver Daly, appeared in Variety on 28 April last year and includes the following synopsis:
“Miles” centers on an 18-year-old searching for a way out of his small California town. He stumbles upon M.A.X., an escaped prototype of an advanced robot, and finds himself in an unlikely friendship. He soon becomes the target of a massive manhunt that puts him and everyone he cares about in danger.
According to IMDB the release date is set for 12 November 2017.
Update: Richard has now deleted all posts relating to this project from his social media, so his involvement is now in doubt.
Here is an interview with Richard in the Israeli magazine, Pnay Plus, published 15th December, in which he discusses working on The Hobbit, Hannibal and Berlin Station and not wanting to attend fan conventions. At the end of the interview Richard states that he is looking to move back home to England. Thank you to Sonya (@soneekk1 on twitter) for scanning the article and providing the translation. The title of the article is "Richard the First". Click the thumbnails to enlarge. English translation here.
A donation of £310.29 plus gift aid has been made today to Childline, one of the eight charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com. Thank you for shopping at Amazon using the links on the home page of this website. Referral fees are earned for free for every item you buy. Details here.
The Berlin Station gallery has been updated with promo images from Epix HD press site. Episode 4 is due to air in the US tomorrow (Sunday) at 9pm ET/6pm and Richard will be live tweeting alongside the broadcast as announced on his twitter feed here. Berlin Station has been sold to Greece and Israel so far, further international distribution is expected soon.
Richard Armitage and Michelle Forbes were interviewed about Berlin Station by Build Series NYC and it was broadcast live today at 1pm Eastern time. You can watch the whole interview here. I don't know how long this will be available but no doubt it will appear on youtube soon as well.
1. The first preview performance of Love, Love, Love took place on Thursday evening and with two performances now down, it appears Richard is greeting audience members outside the theatre in New York after each evening performance as he did during The Crucible run two years ago. Here is a collection of photos and videos via twitter, with many thanks to all those who shared.
A donation of £302.73 plus gift aid has been made today to Barnardo's one of the eight charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com. Thank you so much for continuing to use the Amazon links on my home page to make your purchases. Referral fees are earned for free for every item you buy. Details here.
The Berlin Station premiere has been confirmed - it will take place in Los Angeles on Thursday 29th September and Richard will be attending. This corresponds with the dates that Love, Love, Loveis not scheduled to perform in New York.
1. The Berlin Station twitter account has posted a video showing behind the scenes filming of Richard as he cycles around Berlin, including clips of Richard talking about Freygeist bikes. According to Richard on twitter, there is a clue about where his character Daniel Meyer keeps his bike in episode 1, although what he means is a mystery to me!
2. The latest donation to charity made on 1 September has resulted in a total donation of over £10,000 in referral fees, as a result of your shopping via the Amazon links on this website. This is an incredible amount and it's wonderful that so many of you continue to use these links to shop at Amazon. Payments accrued from Amazon US sales from January - June 2016 should be deposited this week so stay tuned for another huge amount going to one of Richard's nominated charities very soon. Thank you, thank you!
A donation of £324.59 plus gift aid has been made today to Shelter, one of the eight charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com, as a result of orders made via Amazon UK and Amazon DE from April to June 2016. Thank you so much for continuing to use the Amazon links on my home page to order your shopping!
1. The birthday message page is now closed but you can see all the messages here. As this is the last birthday page on this site, I've made all the previous pages available so you can have a browse down memory lane if you wish. Click on 'Birthday Messages 2016' in the menu top left and a submenu will appear showing all previous pages. Thanks to all of you for taking time to visit the site and leave a message.
3. Great news that Brain on Fire will be played at TIFF, the Toronto Film Festival which runs from 8th to 18th September! This announcement on The Playlist features two new pictures of Richard, who plays Chloe Grace Moretz's father Tom, in the film.
1. A reminder that the birthday page will close for new comments at 9pm on Sunday (UK time). This will be the last birthday page on this site. Now that Richard is active on social media via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, I feel that you will be more inclined to want to leave him a message directly via those sites - plus I expect he is more likely to read them there! So a heartfelt thank you to those who have left birthday messages to Richard on this website over the past 8 years, I have really enjoyed reading them. I'm grateful that you chose this site to leave your birthday wishes, but now it's time to move to social media and call it a day. Thank you! Ali xx
Once again I've created a birthday message page for you to leave messages for Richard. This is the 8th year I have done this and usually people ask if Richard will read the messages - sorry I have no idea about that, I simply pass a link to the page to Richard's agent. Here is the page with a summary of Richard's projects in the past 12 months with a link to the charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving. The page will close for comments at 9pm UK time on Sunday 21st August. Thank you!
1. Richard has posted another selfie on Weibo from the EPIX party in Los Angeles. The other selfie is the same one that was posted on twitter on 30 July. Click the image below to read the post on Weibo. The new selfie is in the Berlin Station Promo gallery.
2. Yesterday I posted links to various photo press agencies in the first bullet point. The Getty link has updated with a new picture of Richard taken by Maarten de Boer in the Portrait Studio at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
3. I have created a new poll to ask whether many RA fans are going to see the play Love, Love, Love (see announcement in the news 14 July). Thanks to @sahraobsessed for the suggestion. To vote, scroll down on the left until you reach the poll. The previous poll result is here.
Two new promo shots of the series from Access Hollywood (the first picture was found via Indiewire yesterday). I have added the ones featuring Richard to the Berlin Station Promo gallery. If bigger pictures are released then I will replace these images.
Two photos of Richard and co-star Rhys Ifans were taken by photographer Chris Pizzello yesterday and are available via the app FirstLook: photo 1 and photo 2. These are also in the Berlin Station Promo gallery.
Richard tweeted this photo of himself in front of a promo image at yesterday's EPIX presentation.
Here is another picture from EpixTV on Snapchat, showing Richard with co-stars Mina Tander, who plays Esther Krug and Rhys Ifans who plays Hector DeJean. A video was also posted.
Diane Gordon, a freelance journalist for Variety, compiled a list of tweets after the EPIX presentation: click here to open her twitter feed and then click the link to browse the tweets.
The Hollywood Reporter ran a story following writer and exec producer Olen Steinhauer's comments that Berlin Station is a more accurate portrayal of the intelligence community than shown in Homeland, whose most recent season was also set in Berlin. Richard's follow up tweet on this is very amusing. Click the image below to enlarge (in case the tweet disappears).
Deadline have also quoted Olen Steinhauer on the comparisons between Homeland and Berlin Station with more details about the importance the city plays in this series.
1. The first scene from Berlin Station is now available on YouTube, which means it no longer has the Entertainment Weekly logo in the corner. So, I have recreated the screencaps and they are much better quality too. Click here for the gallery.
There is a Berlin Station career page on this site now, where you will find all the news, links and information for the show so far.
2. Today in Los Angeles Epix will feature in the Television Critic Association's press tour schedule. Richard has already stated that he is in LA to do press for Berlin Station so stay tuned for news and/or photos that may emerge from that event.
3. Following on from our news above, here are the latest tweets, clips and pictures from Los Angeles from the last few hours:
Two video clips posted on Snapchat: video clip 1 ~ video clip 2 Videos on snapchat can only last a maximum of 10 seconds and are automatically deleted after 24 hours, but these links are saved to twitter so will not disappear. The @EpixHD twitter account said they would post pictures and video later, but I will keep these links on the site just in case.
This video clip was originally posted on Snapchat but then deleted. Thank you to @gomgomi03 on twitter for saving it.
@BerlinStation on twitter posted this video of Richard talking about the new series
A new image of Daniel Miller (click 'original image' for full size) via this interview on Indiewire with Epix CEO Mark Greenberg, who says “We wanted to make sure that out of the gate we were making what we felt were meaningful shows...You do try to find things that are hopefully going to be in the zeitgeist to what’s going on in the world and maybe provide some relevance to what’s going on.”
1. Promotion for Berlin Station has begun, with interactive content on www.berlinstation.com, a new trailer and an exclusive first scene published by Entertainment Weekly (click here for trailer and first scene). I have added a gallery of screencaps from the two trailers released so far and the first scene from the series, plus other behind the scenes pictures gathered over the past few months. Click here to view the gallery.
The new trailer is also available on YouTube without the EW logo!
1. An official press release from the Roundabout Theatre Company has confirmed that Richard will star in Love, Love, Love, a play by Mike Bartlett and directed by Michael Mayer. It will be shown at the Laura Pels Theatre, part of The Harold and Miriam Steinberg Center for Theater building in New York City. Previews begin September 22nd and the last performance will take place on December 18th. Here is a link to buy tickets from the Roundabout Theatre Co.
The news has been reported by several media outlets, here's a few examples:
Richard has tweeted that he is no longer involved in his current project due to lack of time before his next commitment. We can assume the project he is no longer working on is Midlife Crisis, a British film that Toby Stephens has unfortunately also had to leave due to delays in production (Toby Stephen's tweets here and here). We know Richard has been in London recently and a couple of days ago he unfollowed the film's twitter account.
Update: Richard is no longer working on this project. 1. There is no official confirmation yet, but it is clear from various tweets and twitter pages that Richard is has just started filming in London, working on a film called Midlife Crisis. Fellow cast mates include Toby Stephens, Colin Salmon and John Thomson, so I think we can assume this is going to be very entertaining and probably quite funny. Richard tweeted a selfie on his way to work the other day but it was soon deleted - you can find the selfie if you search the internet with little difficulty. The offical twitter page for the film is here - check out their 'follows'. Incidentally, Richard and Toby last worked together on Robin Hood series 3, released in 2009.
2. Richard's annual statement for the Cybersmile Foundation is here.
1. A donation of £270.59 plus gift aid has been made today to the Anthony Nolan Trust, one of the eight charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com, as a result of orders made via Amazon UK and Amazon DE in February and March 2016. Thank you so much for continuing to use the Amazon links on my home page to order your shopping!
2. Two photos showing the cleft lip prosthetic worn by Richard for the role of Francis Dolarhyde in Hannibal have been posted on Instagram by Tenille Shockey, prosthetic and makeup effects artist based in Toronto. Click these links to see the very impressive prosthetic work: picture 1, picture 2 and read the notes for details.
Richard narrated the documentary Jutland: WW1's Greatest Sea Battle on Channel 4 (UK) last night. I have recorded a clip and uploaded it here. Apologies that the quality isn't perfect but this is the best I could do. Programme information is on Channel 4's site.
Richard's character in Alice Through the Looking Glass is King Oleron, according to his IMDB page. Richard said this was a cameo role at the end of this video interview with Digital Spy, however in this radio interview with Irish radio programme 'Newstalk', recorded just after The Crucible finished its run in September 2014, he said he had a small part in the film (8m 36s).
Here is a picture of Richard in his cameo role in the forthcoming film Alice Through the Looking Glass, released in the UK and US in a few weeks time on 27 May. The picture was taken from a featurette about the costumes in the film. Watch the full video here on Vimeo.
The director of Urban and the Shed Crew, Candida Brady, has released a video interview with Richard about working on the film. You can watch it here on YouTube. Still no news on release of this film I'm afraid. Candida posted this on twitter on Tuesday.
1. A donation of £339.50 plus gift aid has been made today to The Salvation Army, one of the eight charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com, as a result of orders made via Amazon UK and Amazon DE in December 2015 and January 2016. Thank you so much for continuing to use the Amazon links on my home page to order your shopping!
2. More reports and photos have been posted of the Berlin Station filming on La Palma on 11 April 2016.
Richard filmed scenes for Berlin Station on the island of La Palma, one of the Canary Islands today. News reports, pictures and video have been posted on twitter as follows:
This photo of Richard with officials from the town is courtesy of Cabildo de La Palma (@CabLaPalma). Click to enlarge.
A slightly different version of the above photo from eldiario.es: "Anselmo Pestana greets actor Richard Armitage during filming in La Palma in the series ' Berlin Station'". Mr Pestana, on Richard's left, is the president of the Cabildo de La Palma the governing body of La Palma.
The first official pictures from Berlin Station have been released, via the German news outlet Berliner Zeitung, two of which show Richard as Daniel Miller. Many press outlets are still referring to his character as Daniel Meyer, as this was the name given on the original PR release, however Richard and the writer have since confirmed on twitter that the character is called Daniel Miller.
Here are the two new photos - click to enlarge. I will create a Berlin Station gallery on this site when more pictures are released.
The article refers to the German actress Victoria Mayer and her role as Ingrid Hollander in the US drama, and so there is no information about Richard or his role, except a small reference to her character's interaction with Mr Miller: 'For me it is more about Ingrid's conflict with the agent, who is played by Richard Armitage, and her confrontation with the American secret service'. Here is a rough English translation of the article.
2. A donation of EU 365.00 has been sent to berliner-stadtmission.de following this tweet after Richard's visit to the refugee centre in Berlin, and as a result of the positive replies I received on twitter to this idea. I have donated the Amazon US referral fee earnings received for the period September - December 2015. Thank you so much for continuing to use the Amazon links on my home page to order your shopping!
1. New poll on the site - Richard has been involved in the making of five films and one TV series that we haven't seen yet - which one are you most looking forward to watching? Vote on the left-hand side. Previous poll results are here.
2. The biography page has been updated and a new page for Sleepwalker has been created, summarising all we know so far about this film.
1. Berlin Station has received funding from the German Motion Picture Fund, and Richard was photographed with Parliamentary State Secretary Iris Gleicke, as you may have seen from Richard's twitter feed yesterday.
2. Today is the release date for a new audiobook by Audible: Henry James' The Turn of the Screw. It isnarrated by Emma Thompson, with a prologue read by Richard Armitage. You can order it from Audible US or Audible UK or use one of the Amazon links on the home page of this site, search for the book including the word Armitage and the audiobook will appear, plus you will earn commission for charity if you order it.
I've noticed that Amazon UK are selling the audiobook for a cheaper price than Audible UK, unless you buy it free with a free trial subscription of course.
"...like his co-stars, Armitage gives a performance all his own. It's a carefully balanced turn: Dolarhyde has a split personality, one half an insecure wallflower and the other half a monster out of nightmares. But Armitage makes us believe that both personas could exist in one man -- more than that, that each persona fuels the other."
3. Hariclea attended the Crucible screening at the Barbican Cinema in London on Wednesday 9th March, which also included a Q&A with cast members Zara White (Mercy Lewis), Anna Madley (Elizabeth Proctor) and Marama Corlett (Betty Parris), as well as Digital Theatre's Robert Delamere, who directed the performance. Click here to read her blog of the evening, an account which I feel is well worth a read for insights into the production and a trip down memory lane for those of us who were lucky enough to attend the mesmerising performance of all involved in this intense version of Arthur Miller's classic. It was also interesting to hear that Robert Delamere met the playwright many years ago. Thank you for sharing Hariclea!
On Saturday 5th March, Richard visited the Berliner Stadtmission to spend some time with refugee families. He wrote about the experience and posted the pages on twitter yesterday evening. Here is the original tweet and below are the 3 pages as thumbnails - click to enlarge.
1. In a podcast from the New York Times, Richard talks about recording the David Copperfield audiobook for Audible, as well as recording his first audiobooks for the BBC Robin Hood series and reading some of Georgette Heyers' work. Click here for the link (or here for a direct link to the podcast). Richard appears at 35mins 25seconds.
2. Thanks to Summer for the information that Hamlet, Prince of Denmark: A Novel is availabe for $5.95 from Audible.com until 6 March! Click here for details (note - this link will redirect if you are outside the US).
Congratulations to Richard for his 2016 Saturn Awards nomination for Best Supporting TV Actor! Watch the nominations here on YouTube (Richard's nomination is at 3:45). Last year, Richard won the Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Film for his role as Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Here is his acceptance speech.
2. A donation of £223.38 plus gift aid has been made today to Young Minds UK, one of the eight charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com, as a result of orders made via Amazon UK and Amazon DE in November 2015. Thank you so much for continuing to use the Amazon links on my home page to order your shopping!
Richard attended the Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg reception at Berlin's Ritz-Carlton hotel last night, to celebrate European talent in the film industry as part of the Berlinale film festival. More information about the event is here on Variety's site. Five photos of Richard with his Berlin Station co-star Richard Jenkins have been found on the event's facebook page photo 1 and photo 2 and also three photos from Potsdamer Neueste Nachrichten, a regional news site: photo 1, photo 2 and photo 3. These photos are now in the gallery.
Update: thanks to Veloce for finding larger versions of the last 3 photos from the pnn.de site: click to open gallery.
Richard is currently filming Berlin Station in Berlin, playing the lead character Daniel Miller. Filming started in November 2015 and is expected to continue until March/April 2016.
3. Articles and audio interview clips with Richard about his reading of Charles Dickens' David Copperfield, which was released from Audible on 9th February. If you order the audiobook from Audible via Amazon, using my Amazon links on the home page, you will earn commission that I will pay to one of Richard's nominated charities.
Business Wire announced the release of the audiobook, with quotes from Richard:
"I think David Copperfield is Dickens’ broadest, most humorous and moving epic novel. His treatment in this work of birth, life, love and death had a huge impact on me the first time I read it. It gave me immense pleasure to attempt to bring these vivid characters to life...I'm very proud to have been asked to read this beloved book. I hope you enjoy listening."
Interview with Richard on YouTube in the Audible studios about recording David Copperfield
On discovering Dickens, on the production's challenges, surprises and rewards and on the book's title character
4. Richard's 2015 performance of Classic Love Poems, published by Audible Studios, was one of the bestselling audiobooks of the year and is a finalist for a 2016 Audie Award in the “Best Male Narrator” category. The winners will be announced at a ceremony on 11 May at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago. Good luck Richard!
1. The Critics Choice Movie and TV Awards take place in Santa Monica, California this evening at 5pm (PT)/8pm (ET). Richard is nominated in the Best Guest Actor/Actress category for his role as Francis Dolarhyde in Hannibal. Richard confirmed today that he is unable to attend.
2. Richard has been nominated as Best TV Supporting Actor in Hannibal by the US film magazine Fangoria. The magazine is asking for the public to vote for film and TV categories in the horror genre. If you'd like to vote, click the link and email your choices before 13th March.
Richard Armitage has been voted 'People's Choice' for villain of the year with his portrayal of Francis Dolarhyde in Hannibal by readers of IGN! The entertainment site voted David Tennant as their winner, but Richard got the people's vote. Click here for more information.